Geant4 - any volunteers?

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Fri Jun 28 09:44:46 PDT 2013

Hi Mojca,

On Jun 27, 2013, at 1:06 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> I'm not an active user of Geant4 myself, but the version in MacPorts
> is very outdated (9.4 patch 2 from June 2011, the currently released
> versions are 9.4p4, 9.5p2 and 9.6p2).
>
> I wrote an initial Portfile using cmake
> (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/32716), but the Portfile currently
> used is very complicated and I'm not sure if I can follow and test all
> of its different options, and if I can understand the need for all the
> patches.
>
> In addition to what is already there (and what is missing in
> comparison to the old Geant4.9.4), I would like to suggest providing
> different versions of Geant4 (maybe starting from 9.5), so that other
> applications like Gate (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/35992 - I
> have it working here, but it needs some polishing) with strong
> dependencies on a particular version of Geant4 could work properly,
> and so that physicists with simulations written for an old Geant4
> could still run them.
>
> I haven't heard anything from the original author of the port and I
> would be grateful if someone could help bringing this port up to date.

I think we should only support the latest version - which is 9.6p2. I can't believe anyone is depending on our outdated version of it now. Do you have a Portfile for that version in some state? Can you send it to me or attach to one of the tickets? Time permitting, I am interested in helping getting this port updated.

Another thought, I think that separating the data into a subport would be a good idea but I'm open to staying with the current all inclusive single port.

Cheers!
Frank