Reinstalling Macports fails

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 27 17:13:29 PDT 2013

On Jun 27, 2013, at 08:25, Vincent Habchi wrote:

> I’ve crashed my 10.8 partition on my brand new Air (which, BTW, seems to be immune to the WiFi syndrome) and just got a new one after a brief visit to the nearest Apple Store. But I can’t install Macports again. The installer in base fails:
>
> /usr/bin/tclsh src/upgrade_sources_conf_default.tcl "/opt/local"
> /usr/bin/tclsh src/images_to_archives.tcl "/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl"
> dlopen(/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib, 10): Symbol not found: ___strlcpy_chk
>  Referenced from: /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib
>  Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

First, make sure your OS X is up-to-date by running Software Update. And make sure you're running the latest Xcode, and have installed its command line tools.

How are you installing MacPorts -- from source, or from the pre-built installer package?

If from source, make sure you "make clean" before trying again.

If from installer package, make sure you download the correct one for your version of OS X. For example, if you're running 10.8, make sure you download the version of MacPorts for 10.8.