Two different copies of MacPorts on the same system?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 30 22:14:00 PDT 2013

On Jul 1, 2013, at 00:11, Vincent Habchi wrote:

>> I always set --prefix=$PREFIX --with-tclpackage=$PREFIX/lib/tcl/macports to ensure that each copy installs all its files into its own prefix.
>
> How do you do that exactly? You run the installation twice with different prefixes, and then use two different ‘port’ command (e.g.. /opt/local/bin/port for the main one, and $SOME_OTHER_PREFIX/port for the copy?)

If you just have a one-off command you want to run in the secondary installation, you could call it by its full path, e.g. /somewhere/bin/port. If you're settling down for lots of work in the secondary installation, you could "export PATH=/somewhere/bin:$PATH" in your terminal, but when I do that, I get confused about which terminal window has what set. You could change that terminal window's color to remind you it's different.