Office software on Apple and MacPorts

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 21:54:02 PST 2013

Hi guys,

For as long as I can remember (well, back to Macintosh days anyway),
I have been going into Apple dealers, including the current chain of
Apple Stores, and seeing customers (including me) asking for office
apps and being told to buy Microsoft Office for Apple.

This is surely a regrettable state of affairs, but perhaps an opportunity
for FOSS … :-)

For myself, I use Libre Office (a successor of Open Office) and it works
fine for me on Macbook, Linux and Windows and I can interchange
Libre Office files between platforms and with Microsoft Office.  I use
it to prepare notes and slideshows and the occasional spreadsheet.

I see MacPorts has KOffice for KDE 3 (obsolete) and apparently not
much else in the office software department.

KOffice sort of limped into KDE4, then forked into Calligra, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOffice#History  It seems that KOffice
for KDE 4 is moribund, but Calligra is alive and kicking.

See http://www.calligra.org/news/calligra-2-6-1-released/

Is it worth taking a look at Calligra as a possible MacPorts port?

I have not tried Calligra 2.6.1, nor any Calligra version.  This is
just an exploratory enquiry.

All the best, Ian W.