Divorcing MacPorts from Xcode

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Mar 19 10:53:14 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-19 18:00, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> We should probably revisit replacing a lot of our base logic that
> depends on Xcode, or at least isolating it so we can operate without
> Xcode and alert the user when it's actually needed.

I not sure what you mean with this as I see two separate goals here:

 a) Do not require Xcode as long as only binary archives are available
    for installing software.

 b) Use our own toolchain and compilers for building ports instead of
    those provided by Xcode.

Regarding a), a possible first step could be a selfupdate mechanism that
does not require rebuilding base from source, but using pre-compiled
binaries instead (maybe using the binary archives infrastructure). See
also [1].

Rainer

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#self-management