Feature request: "subscribing" to tickets of specific ports

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Mar 20 06:03:28 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am interested in a specific subset of ports, some of which have no
maintainer or still have a maintainer but in reality a "port
abandoned" ticket would be in place. I don't want to be a maintainer
for those, but:
- I'm willing to look into bug reports for some ports without maintainer
- I'm willing to test and commit changes to ports with a maintainer
without commit rights
- and I'm interested in simply following development of other ports
(like wxWidgets where changes highly influence one of my own ports).

However, I'm not interested in following *all* the commits and *all*
the tickets for MacPorts - that would simply take way too much time. I
sometimes CC myself on some tickets, but only if I happen to see the
ticket. Most of them go unnoticed.

When someone submits a ticket, the maintainer gets CC-ed (if not by
submitter, by the first one who sees that ticket). That is fine, but
that excludes anyone else who might be interested in following
maintenance of that port.

Ideally I would like to subscribe to email sent to, say,
wxWidgets at port.macports.org or
someportwithoutmaintainer at port.macports.org and if:
- one would have to CC wxWidgets at port.macports.org instead of its maintainer
- cron job of after-commit hook would send emails to that email
address for any changes to that port in SVN
then it would be a lot easier for some of us (without the resources to
follow the whole macports repository) to help with patches, ideas, ...
for exactly those ports that are of interest to us.

One could have other pseudo-port addresses like port.new@ (for
everyone interested in hearing about submissions for new ports),
port.nomaintainer@ (for anyone interested in seeing tickets for
unmaintained ports where the chance of nobody looking into report is
higer), group.science@ (for all ports in a specific group),
ticket.wontfix@ (for feedback of all tickets that won't get fixed for
some reason), ... (those were just a few different ideas)

Ideally I would like to have a page somewhere on trac.macports.org
where I would click the list of ports (or groups/pseudoports) that I'm
interested in following. The maintainer would of course have to be
subscribed, but everyone else with interest could join.

What do you think of this idea?

Mojca