Feature request: "subscribing" to tickets of specific ports

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Mar 21 00:28:32 PDT 2013

On 2013-3-21 00:03 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Ideally I would like to subscribe to email sent to, say,
> wxWidgets at port.macports.org or
> someportwithoutmaintainer at port.macports.org and if:
> - one would have to CC wxWidgets at port.macports.org instead of its maintainer
> - cron job of after-commit hook would send emails to that email
> address for any changes to that port in SVN
> then it would be a lot easier for some of us (without the resources to
> follow the whole macports repository) to help with patches, ideas, ...
> for exactly those ports that are of interest to us.

So this boils down to dynamically generating a bunch of custom mailing
lists and having the post-commit script (or the Trac user) look up which
ones apply to each commit or ticket. It's possible of course, but I
don't know if there are any existing frameworks for doing that kind of
thing. It may be a problem better solved on the client side with mail
filters applied to -changes and -tickets.

If you're going to tackle this, a Trac plugin that looks up port names
and assigns tickets to the appropriate maintainer would be a good
starting point. Then you can look at adding a system for people to
indicate that they care about specific ports and have it automatically
Cc them. Then you can look into more complicated setups if they still
seem necessary.

> Ideally I would like to have a page somewhere on trac.macports.org
> where I would click the list of ports (or groups/pseudoports) that I'm
> interested in following. The maintainer would of course have to be
> subscribed, but everyone else with interest could join.

This part at least can be more or less done by putting links to custom
queries on wiki pages.

- Josh