[104383] trunk/dports/python/py-numpy/Portfile

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 06:51:37 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2013-3-26 00:27 , Joshua Root wrote:
> > On 2013-3-26 00:22 , Eric A. Borisch wrote:
> >> I've pondered ones like this one before. Shouldn't the binary packages
> >> be updated (and would they without the revbump)? Don't we want the
> >> binary to match (as close as possible) what would happen if someone
> >> built from source? And related, if someone installs (source or binary)
> >> rev1 (new install, pre-change) today, and someone else installs (source)
> >> rev1 (if it hadn't been bumped) new tomorrow don't we want those to
> match?
> >
> > That might be relevant if the py*-numpy binaries used any gcc variant.
>
> To be clear, I mean relevant to this particular case. Your concerns are
> valid in the general case. Yes, MPAB should check that the existing
> archive has the current default variants before deciding to skip the build.
>
> - Josh

Alas, I forgot +atlas (and associated +gccNN) had been dropped from numpy's
default.

It would be nice if 'sudo port upgrade' could detect something (in the
general, not this particular) case like:

  NOTE: default variants for port "python" changed from "+eggs" to
"+eggs+spam" since installed.
  Follow change of defaults [y/N] ?

Not sure how feasible this is with what is currently stored in the
registry, but this would be a nice feature to keep binary package usage
high.

 - Eric
--
Eric A. Borisch