hpc gfortran

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 11:27:35 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Sean Farley <sean at macports.org> wrote:

> Eric A. Borisch writes:

> it
> This
> standalone

> The
> gcc4X

> there
> solved

> >> I don't think anyone would object to splitting gfortran (and gcj) out in
> >> subports of the various gccXY and dragonegg ports. It's just that so
> >> far, nobody did the work.
> >>
> >> - Josh
> >>

> > I'm all for it. It's likely less of an issue for many now that the
> > buildbots pull so much of the install/upgrade times down. I'm happy to
> > update mpich to have separate fortranNN and gcc/clang/llvm selectors.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> > Looking forward, should a gccNN require the matching gfortranNN?
>
> Good question.

Is it worth it to split out gfortran? Is, for example, installing the
current gcc47 port *that* much of an issue for those that require
bin/gfortran-mp-4.7?

If the answer is no, it's not much of an issue, and you just want the mpi
ports to break-out fortran selection, shouldn't we just handle it in those
use cases?

It would be nice to have 'configure compiler macports-gfortran-4.7' work to
fill in just the configure.f* flags for this use case.

If the desire is to really split it out, I would float the possibility
having the gccNN port require the gfortranNN port. This would remove the
requirement to update all of the ports currently using gccNN and expecting
to get gfortranNN.

  - Eric
--
Eric A. Borisch