hpc gfortran

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 11:44:35 PDT 2013

Eric A. Borisch writes:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Sean Farley <sean at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> Eric A. Borisch writes:

>> it
>> This
>> standalone

>> The
>> gcc4X

>> there
>> solved

>> > I'm all for it. It's likely less of an issue for many now that the
>> > buildbots pull so much of the install/upgrade times down. I'm happy to
>> > update mpich to have separate fortranNN and gcc/clang/llvm selectors.
>>
>> Great, thanks!
>>
>> > Looking forward, should a gccNN require the matching gfortranNN?
>>
>> Good question.
>>

> Is it worth it to split out gfortran? Is, for example, installing the
> current gcc47 port *that* much of an issue for those that require
> bin/gfortran-mp-4.7?
>
> If the answer is no, it's not much of an issue, and you just want the mpi
> ports to break-out fortran selection, shouldn't we just handle it in those
> use cases?

I would say it is worth it because currently there is no sane way to
specify a sole fortran compiler. I currently have many ports that I
haven't added to macports because they are all fortran packages and as
such, they expose the gap between using a c compiler with a fortran
compiler.

As for splitting out java, I can't say. I have no experience there.

> It would be nice to have 'configure compiler macports-gfortran-4.7' work to
> fill in just the configure.f* flags for this use case.
>
> If the desire is to really split it out, I would float the possibility
> having the gccNN port require the gfortranNN port. This would remove the
> requirement to update all of the ports currently using gccNN and expecting
> to get gfortranNN.

That's a good point.