hpc gfortran

Sean Farley sean at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 16:50:46 PDT 2013

Chris Jones writes:

>>> Why would you provide a +clang variant in the case of a port that has to use fortran ? Just blacklist any compiler other than a MacPorts gcc compiler, that has gfortran. Or am I missing something.
>>
>> 1) Because any port that relies on mpi will get a version of mpicc that is
>> built with clang and has no corresponding fortran compiler.
>>
>> 2) Since clang is the new default with Apple, there is great interest in
>> the scientific community for building the c part with clang and the
>> fortran part with gfortran.
>>
>> 3) If you have a port that depends on boost and fortran, then with your
>> suggestion there will be ABI issues with the C++ libraries.
>
> I mis understood your example. I thought you said you had ports that *only* used fortran.

I think it's more of a rough spot when a port needs both but even with
ports that solely rely on fortran there is still a problem when using
mpi (netcdf-fortran, for instance; or even better mumps). Some of this
hardship is because there's no way to know which compiler variant a
port's dependency used (see for reference ticket #126).

If we solve the variant issue with subports, then I think we're back at
having gcc (and friends) split up into subports.