hpc gfortran

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Mar 25 17:03:08 PDT 2013

On 2013-3-26 09:58 , Sean Farley wrote:

>>> Then what does configure.fc get set to in the +clang variant?
>>
>> Why would you provide a +clang variant in the case of a port that has to use fortran ? Just blacklist any compiler other than a MacPorts gcc compiler, that has gfortran. Or am I missing something.
>
> 1) Because any port that relies on mpi will get a version of mpicc that is
> built with clang and has no corresponding fortran compiler.

This suggests that it is openmpi that is doing it wrong. I don't see how
having a separate gfortran port would fix it.

> 2) Since clang is the new default with Apple, there is great interest in
> the scientific community for building the c part with clang and the
> fortran part with gfortran.

Fair enough, but clang is the default C compiler for ports on recent OS
versions anyway.

> 3) If you have a port that depends on boost and fortran, then with your
> suggestion there will be ABI issues with the C++ libraries.

C++ ABI issues seem pretty much inescapable judging by recent bug
reports. But again, I don't see how a separate gfortran port would help.

- Josh