GitHub Downloads and the github portgroup

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 30 16:03:04 PDT 2013

On Mar 30, 2013, at 09:20, Ben Smith wrote:

> When using the github port group you can not specify "name"  and
> "version"; you must assume that the github port group will do that for
> you correctly.  It won't produce an error when you run portindex, but
> you won't be able to find it when you search for it.

You can specify name and version separately if you want to, but the intention of the github portgroup is that it should be unnecessary to do so for the majority of projects. The signature of the github.setup procedure is:

proc github.setup {gh_author gh_project gh_version {gh_tag_prefix ""}}

So you specify the github author, the github project name, the current version number of that project, and optionally the prefix that the developers use when creating tag names. "name" is set to gh_project and "version" is set to gh_version. In the majority of projects that's fine. If that's not fine for your port, override name and/or version after running github.setup.

> Again, thanks to Lawrence for the incredibly informative information
> about live check and to Alex for the variable order of github.setup.
> I do think that some of this info about port group created commands
> probably should be documented somewhere (maybe a wiki?).

Portgroups should be documented in the guide.

http://guide.macports.org/chunked/reference.portgroup.html

You are correct that the github portgroup and several other newer portgroups are not documented there yet.

In the absence of that documentation, read the portgroup code itself, and ask on the dev mailing list if you have any questions.