Promote octave-devel to octave?

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Fri May 24 05:12:48 PDT 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013, at 03:42 AM, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
> Well, I can test them with octave-devel if you want!

Give it a go!

I picked 5 random octave-* ports (irsa, specfun, strings, ?don't
remember?) and tried to install them (10.8.3 all latest); 4 installed.
Of those 4, I've figured out how to use 2 of them (they "just work").
The other 2 do not seem to work for me -- but, I've never used add-ons
to octave so I'm having to learn how to do that.  From what I read
online, and looking at the Octave PortGroup, each of these port's addons
should be registered with octave when the port is activated (and,
unregistered when deactivated) -- or, that's my guess. So, they truly
should "just work" when active.  I don't know why 2 do not seem to work;
I don't know enough about the octave addon activation process yet.

So, from this small random sampling my vote is to not move octave-devel
to octave just yet, but first for someone to go through and make sure
all of the current octave-* ports install and work correctly with
octave-devel.  I will have some time to do this in a few weeks, maybe.
Maybe somebody else has time sooner? - MLD