Promote octave-devel to octave?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri May 24 23:08:07 PDT 2013

On 5/24/13 5:12 AM, Michael Dickens wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013, at 03:42 AM, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
>> Well, I can test them with octave-devel if you want!
>
> Give it a go!
>
> I picked 5 random octave-* ports (irsa, specfun, strings, ?don't
> remember?) and tried to install them (10.8.3 all latest); 4 installed.
> Of those 4, I've figured out how to use 2 of them (they "just work").
> The other 2 do not seem to work for me -- but, I've never used add-ons
> to octave so I'm having to learn how to do that.  From what I read
> online, and looking at the Octave PortGroup, each of these port's addons
> should be registered with octave when the port is activated (and,
> unregistered when deactivated) -- or, that's my guess. So, they truly
> should "just work" when active.  I don't know why 2 do not seem to work;
> I don't know enough about the octave addon activation process yet.
>
> So, from this small random sampling my vote is to not move octave-devel
> to octave just yet, but first for someone to go through and make sure
> all of the current octave-* ports install and work correctly with
> octave-devel.  I will have some time to do this in a few weeks, maybe.
> Maybe somebody else has time sooner? - MLD

I was asking since octave is pretty old compared to octave-devel and needed
octave for a bit, but I don't have the cycles to do this myself.

It does seem that if the addons don't work with octave-devel they should be
deprecated.  We could copy octave to octave32 and rename any octave-* that only
with with 3.2.x.

Blair