Questions on dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 13:15:13 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 15:09, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> which again, you're assuming that no port has a runtime dependency on a library that doesn't link with that library (which a reasonable person might express as a  depends_run dependency). This is #2 from above.
>
> The only way you can assume that depends_run means "only depends on programs" is if we define depends_run to mean "only depends on programs”.

I *do not* "assume that depends_run means 'only depends on programs’”. My proposal is that depends_lib means a port links with a library. Therefore, using depends_run instead means a port does not link with a library.

> In other words, for this to work, depends_lib doesn't just mean "I link to a library provided by this port" but "I link to, or load a library or plugin provided by this port."

No, my proposal is that depends_lib means it links with a library.

If a port loads a library at runtime, that would be depends_run.

Perhaps that’s unintuitive. I guess I’m redefining depends_lib to be more “depends_link”.