Questions on dependencies

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Nov 1 13:23:19 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2013, at 15:09, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> which again, you're assuming that no port has a runtime dependency on a library that doesn't link with that library (which a reasonable person might express as a  depends_run dependency). This is #2 from above.
>>
>> The only way you can assume that depends_run means "only depends on programs" is if we define depends_run to mean "only depends on programs”.
>
> I *do not* "assume that depends_run means 'only depends on programs’”. My proposal is that depends_lib means a port links with a library. Therefore, using depends_run instead means a port does not link with a library.

ok, then you're assuming that ports that load a library/plugin at runtime won't need a revbump if the library ABI changes (but something that links with that library does need a revbump). I don't know if that's a reasonable assumption or not (it probably /should/ be, but I don't know if things work that well in practice or not).

--
Daniel J. Luke