Questions on dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 16:12:28 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 17:25, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2013-11-2 02:27 , Clemens Lang wrote:
>
>> I'm currently trying to improve trace mode to a point where every
>> package I have installed builds fine using trace mode and I've come
>> across the gcc ports, which set
>>  depends_run port:ld64 port:cctools
>> but fail to configure when trace mode (correctly) hides files installed
>> by these ports. I wonder whether the correct fix would be to convert
>> those into depends_lib, or just add them as depends_build, too.
>
> The former.

If that’s general advice, then how do you suggest we differentiate between ports depending on ImageMagick for its libraries vs. those depending on it for its programs?

Perhaps this isn’t the general-purpose problem I think it is. For example, when we had this problem with the “file” port and its “libmagic” library, I solved it by breaking libmagic out into its own subport. Maybe I should break the ImageMagick libraries out into their own subport too.