Questions on dependencies

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 19:00:38 PDT 2013

On 2013-11-2 10:12 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2013, at 17:25, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> On 2013-11-2 02:27 , Clemens Lang wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently trying to improve trace mode to a point where every
>>> package I have installed builds fine using trace mode and I've come
>>> across the gcc ports, which set
>>>  depends_run port:ld64 port:cctools
>>> but fail to configure when trace mode (correctly) hides files installed
>>> by these ports. I wonder whether the correct fix would be to convert
>>> those into depends_lib, or just add them as depends_build, too.
>>
>> The former.
>
> If that’s general advice, then how do you suggest we differentiate between ports depending on ImageMagick for its libraries vs. those depending on it for its programs?

The best way would probably be to use libmachista during the install
phase to determine what the mach-o files in each port are linked with,
and record that in the archive metadata and the registry.

Then, much like the problem of finding out which (uninstalled) port
provides a file you want, it's just a matter of setting up a way to
query that information.

Or if you want a way that doesn't involve writing any code, figure out
the linking situation manually and put a comment in the portfile.

- Josh