[MacPorts] #40852: qt4-mac does not build on OS X 10.9 Mavericks or later

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 1 20:31:47 PDT 2013

On Nov 1, 2013, at 22:00, Michael Dickens <michaelld at macports.org> wrote:

> < https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40852#comment:101 >
>
> Does anyone know why the binary library isn't part of the rsync tarball?
> It's coming in through SVN just fine ...  Do I need to have a separate
> download for it, not just a patchfile? - MLD

I don’t know why it doesn’t work. Perhaps the process that creates the ports tarball for the rsync server excludes it by some criteria.

But it’s unexpected that you would put a binary in the files directory. The files directory is meant to store small patches, not huge binaries. Remember that the files directory will be downloaded by all users, even those not using this port, so it should be kept as small as possible.

If this binary is needed and cannot be built from the sources, then yes, I’d recommend uploading a compressed version of it somewhere and making the port download it when needed.