master_sites

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Thu Nov 14 07:04:09 PST 2013

Sorry to Joshua, I missed to CC the list!

On Nov 14, 2013, at 15:36 , Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2013-11-15 01:22 , Peter Danecek wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> for curiosity I tried to put this into a Portfile the following:
>>
>> 	master_sites        pypi:PyODE
>>

>> This would not work, but I wonder why or if this could not be possible? It would then resolve to:
>>
>> 	http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/P/PyODE/PyODE-1.2.1.tar.gz
>> or
>> 	https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/P/PyODE/PyODE-1.2.1.tar.gz
>
> It would have to be pypi:P/PyODE as there's currently no way to insert a
> dynamic part into the URL (cf. the debian mirrors). But anyway, the main
> purpose of this mechanism is to allow the lists of mirrors to be updated
> in one place, so there really isn't much point when there's just the one
> URL.
>
> - Josh

Okay,
so I just misinterpreted this mechanism as a convenient way to specify the download location of often used sites. But I now understand that this is most relevant for a list of mirrors. I assumed, there was a way to specify rules to create the path from the name (which should not be too difficult), but have not recognised here:

	http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/_resources/port1.0/fetch/mirror_sites.tcl

This is why I was asking.

Thanks for the clarification!
~petr