master_sites

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Thu Nov 14 08:08:07 PST 2013

On Nov 14, 2013, at 16:35 , Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2013, at 08:36, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> But anyway, the main
>> purpose of this mechanism is to allow the lists of mirrors to be updated
>> in one place, so there really isn't much point when there's just the one
>> URL.
>
> The main purpose of the mechanism is to provide a central place to record the download URL(s) of services that host multiple projects, so that if that service changes its download URL(s) it need only be updated in a single place. It’s perfectly fine if that service uses only a single URL. The googlecode group uses just one URL, for example.

I this optic, PyPi probably would qualify.

What about multiple protocols? Would one add both (http:// and https://)? in the case http:// For example, should ever be retired, just to make up a scenario.

So does it not make sense to abstract and auto-determine the path part as well? The rules probably are quite strait forward?

~petr