Detect OS upgrades and refer users to Migration

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Sun Nov 17 10:06:54 PST 2013

On Nov 4, 2013, at 20:06 , Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> ... we’d really prefer them to uninstall and reinstall all ports.

Users *really* (and rightfully) hate this, especially when there aren't binary packages available. For our local machines, we simply upgraded MacPorts base, and left the existing port installs in place -- so far, everything has worked fine.

In theory, Apple should provide ABI compatibility across releases; is there any modern reason why we should still be encouraging (or enforcing) a full uninstall and reinstall?

-landonf