[113549] trunk/www/install.php

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Nov 19 18:16:40 PST 2013

> For example here:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#xcode-eula

I can see why it's a Hotlist Problem: no one knows they need to do it as
part of the install process.

> Ok. When I ran it I already had Xcode installed. So I guess it didn’t
> show the Xcode button that case, leaving only the Install button, which
> installs the command line tools.

Okay, so we should we not be directing users to install Xcode from the
dialog? "run these two commands and install macports; done!"

When you installed Xcode not using the dialog, did you do it through the
store or the download site? Presently inferring that the store page didn't
do the command line tools for you. Will the dialog do so?

> Fact remains, I think our documentation was perfectly clear before:
> install Xcode, then install the command line tools by running
> `xcode-select --install`.

The install steps omit a functioning Xcode (no license agreement) so what
was there did not work.

I am committed to further updating the instructions upon reinstalling the
OS and Xcode and MacPorts.

In the end, the instructions need to be complete and concise. I felt they
were neither and I'm trying to fix that.