Promoting maven3 to 3.1.1

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Sun Nov 24 03:30:42 PST 2013

On Nov 23, 2013, at 9:20, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Any reason for me not to update the maven3 port to 3.1.1?

Maven 3.1 is significantly different “under the hood” than Maven 3.0, especially in the adoption of the apache.org Aether connector.  This affected me with ABCL’s usage in that I needed to have both ports around to test things.   Since we have yet to make a release of abcl-1.3.0 which contains code for handling both maven-3.0.x and maven-3.1.x, an update of the maven3 port to 3.1.1 will break `lang/abcl` for usage of Maven to dynamically download dependencies from the distributed POM graph.  But `lang/abcl` probably has a tiny enough user base that this will not create that much of a problem.  And I should get my act together to make a new release of ABCL.

Two paths here that I see:

1)  create a `maven31` port, move `maven-devel` over there, maybe use the `maven` port to install `maven31` by default.  I would then have a `mvn30` and `mvn31` symlink to the respective Maven installations, toggling the `mvn3` symlink depending on the “active” port in the “port —select” sense.

2)  just update `maven3` to use Maven-3.1.1; remove `maven-revel`.  ABCL breaks for certain usages, but I handle it with email until I can make a new release.

Please let me know what you decide,
Mark

--
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before but there is nothing
to compare to it now."