[113785] trunk/dports/lang

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 24 15:51:07 PST 2013

On Nov 24, 2013, at 06:41, Juan Rafael García Blanco <juanrgar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don’t completely understand the problem we have here. I know 10.9 ships with libc++ instead of libstdc++.

Mavericks ships with both. The difference is that libc++ is the default now. And you cannot mix libc++ and libstdc++ in a single program.

> I guess cxx_stdlib is new in trunk; but I don’t understand why we set it to libstdc++, in the first solution. Could you please help me with this?

The mozjs17 build system was setting MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6, and on 10.9, we use libc++, which was not available on 10.6, so the build failed. The first fix changed the C++ library to libstdc++ but this will cause any program wanting to use mozjs17 on 10.9 to fail unless it too switches its C++ library to libstdc++. We don’t want to do that; we want to use libc++. So the revised fix removes the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET setting from the mozjs17 build system, thereby allowing the MacPorts value of MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET (which is the same as the OS X version) to be used instead.

> Also, a couple of things:
> - The latest commit, the one that patches the configure script, is ok for me that I don’t have a trunk installation. It builds fine.
> - gjs at 1.38.x needs mozjs17 (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41356). Probably next versions will need mozjs24, so maybe mozjs17 will never ever be needed.

Even if we never have any ports using mozjs17, the user may want to compile his own software against it.