Recommended permissions and ownership of Subversion checkout of dports

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Oct 17 04:02:47 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-17 03:18, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> If my main dports tree is a Subversion working copy, what are the
> recommended permissions and user and group ownership so that "sudo
> port sync" and "svn update" and "svn commit" all work? It seems like
> I should understand this by now but I'm not getting it; what I'm
> getting are permission errors.

"sudo port sync" will automatically change to the user and group owning
the specified ports directory before running "svn update", so no
permission problems should occur there with subversion commands after a
sync.

For using the Portfiles with other commands, however, read permissions
for the user "macports" are required.

For both cases, also make sure that all directories leading to the ports
tree are accessible.

Rainer