Recommended permissions and ownership of Subversion checkout of dports

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Oct 17 05:34:27 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 08:18:51PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> If my main dports tree is a Subversion working copy, what are the
> recommended permissions and user and group ownership so that "sudo
> port sync" and "svn update" and "svn commit" all work? It seems like I
> should understand this by now but I'm not getting it; what I'm getting
> are permission errors.

I use drwxrwx--- 54 clemens macports. The write permission for the
MacPorts user might not be necessary, though.

I am aware (and so should you be), that these files are editable by my
user account and contain code that will be run with super user
privileges – so if you're concerned about possible privilege
escalations, you should create the checkout as root (which also implies
you need root privileges to edit the Portfiles).

--
Clemens Lang