continued mactex support issues ... (dependencies)

John Owens jowens at macports.org
Fri Oct 25 11:23:02 PDT 2013

I continue my effort to use MacTeX and have it nicely supported through
all the various packages I use. A new OS and a fresh install gives me the
opportunity to find more issues!

To "enable" MacTeX within macports, I set "binpath" in macports.conf
to /usr/texbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:
/usr/sbin (so prepend /usr/texbin to the default). That's historically
worked well. (Is that in fact the right thing to do?)

Today's 2 issues: latex2html and LaTeXiT.

LaTeXiT has a nice "mactex" variant:

variant mactex description "Use MacTeX instead of TeX Live" {
    depends_run-delete    bin:pdftex:texlive-basic
}

However, it doesn't appear to work:

$ port installed | grep LaTeXiT
  LaTeXiT @2.5.0_0+mactex (active)
$ sudo port uninstall texlive-latex
--->  Unable to uninstall texlive-latex @30738_0+doc, the following ports
depend on it:
--->  	latex2html @2008_3
--->  	LaTeXiT @2.5.0_0+mactex
Error: org.macports.uninstall for port texlive-latex returned: Please uninstall
the ports that depend on texlive-latex first.

I'd appreciate some guidance as to what's wrong here, since I don't know.

Second, latex2html has the following line:

depends_run             bin:latex:texlive-latex

I'm not actually sure what the matter is there either, since latex would be
in my binpath.

Any help would be appreciated.

JDO