TextMate2 on Lion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 29 10:57:32 PDT 2013

On Oct 29, 2013, at 06:32, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> is it possible to compile TextMate2 on Lion?

The textmate2 port claims to work on Lion and later, yes.

> The capnproto port itself can successfully be compiled with
> macports-gcc-4.7 for example

Not a viable solution. We don’t want to mix C++ runtimes. We want to compile with clang.

> (I wonder why other clangs compiled with
> macports don't work - I didn't test, I just read the comments),

Where?

> but
> then it throws errors when including capnproto libraries when
> compiling TextMate:
>
> /opt/local/include/kj/common.h:47:8: warning:
> "This library requires at least Clang 3.2. XCode 4.6's Clang, which
> claims to be "
> "version 4.2 (wat?),

All clangs claim to be GCC 4.2.1, for presumably the same reason that all browsers today claim to be Mozilla 5.0.

> is actually built from some random SVN revision
> between 3.1 "
> "and 3.2. Unfortunately, it is insufficient for compiling this
> library. You can "
> "download the real Clang 3.2 (or newer) from the Clang web site. Step-by-step "
> "instructions can be found in Cap'n Proto's documentation: "
> "http://kentonv.github.io/capnproto/install.html#clang_32_on_mac_osx"
> [-W#warnings] #warning "This library requires at least Clang 3.2.
> XCode 4.6's Clang, which claims to be "\ ^

No need to build clang manually, since MacPorts has ports for them.

If there is a bug compiling capnproto with the default compiler, file a bug in the issue tracker so that we can blacklist unsuitable compilers and find one that works. Though I see the port already blacklists MacPorts clangs, and Xcode clang < 500 (in other words, clang from Xcode < 5.0, and Xcode 5.0 doesn’t work on Lion). So we need to figure out why MacPorts clang 3.3 or 3.4 is not acceptable and make it acceptable.