Weird checksum changes

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Sep 18 04:47:10 PDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM,  <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:

> I thought that github (isn't | wouldn't be) changing the contents of their tarballs all the time!?

Developers are free to delete, add, move, ... the tags. And even
remove part of the history or completely replace the repositories.

GitHub usually doesn't change the contents "automatically", but
developers of the project can. The only reliable way to assure that
the checksums of the tarballs won't change is to provide the sha sum
instead of the tag (of course you can then end up with a missing
commit).

Mojca