introducing Trac_Assigner: a script to automatically assign tickets to their port maintainer

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Sep 24 13:50:27 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Eric Le Lay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I were to write such a trac plugin, what are the odds that it would
> be installed in macports.org ?

I cannot answer this particular question, but ...

How would you deal with tickets like this one?
   https://trac.macports.org/ticket/39383
And what happens when maintainers are changed? (This is already a problem now.)

I mentioned that once in the past ... One thing that I would find
really useful would be if each ticket would be automatically CC-ed to
something like portname at ports.macports.org (if multiple ports would be
involved, it would have to be CC-ed to multiple addresses) and
developers or users with a trac account could subscribe to a set of
ports they are interested in. Each mail sent to
portname at ports.macports.org would then be delivered to everyone
subscribed to that port. As a workaround I created a wiki page for
myself (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/mojca), but users don't have
that option and I sometimes get a feeling that "egall" would probably
spend less time writing a bot to click "CcMe" instead of requesting to
be CC-ed on the zillion of tickets (990 tickets in fact).

I know that this involves more work than a simple assignment to the
current port maintainer, but it might be more useful in the long run
if anyone is willing to explore the options.

Mojca