2.3.0

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Apr 3 08:02:26 PDT 2014

Hi,

> So, no bugs have been reported against the beta. Unless anyone has a
> last-minute urgent regression, I guess I'll just go ahead and tag the
> final release tomorrow.
>
> Does that mean we skip release candidates this time?
>
> For the 2.2.0 release we did -beta1, then -rc1, only then the final release.

If nobody is reporting bugs against the beta (and we've had that out for a while
now), I don't think anybody will for an RC. It seems unless we make it easier for
people to test a beta, only a few users will actually do it. So I'd suggest
skipping RC this time, working on selfupdate --beta and releasing a 2.3.1 soon
after 2.3.0 if serious problems show up.

However, I've noticed during my last use of port_cutleaves from contrib [1] that
I see failures to open Portfiles from registry a lot more often than I used to.
I tried investigating a little, but haven't been able to pinpoint a reason for
that. It might just be my installation (because I had to manually intervene with
the database upgrade), but I guess making sure and giving it another look wouldn't
hurt.

Can anybody reproduce this? It might not be a critical problem though, because it'd
only break pre-/post-deactivate hooks, and we don't have a lot of those anyway.

[1] http://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/port_cutleaves/
--
Clemens Lang