[119433] trunk/dports/devel/akonadi/Portfile

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri Apr 25 17:02:28 PDT 2014

The mysql5 port will be replaced_by the mysql51 port. If you want to stay with the 5.1.x you can use mysql51.

If you do not already have mysql51-server installed the following should work fine:
sudo port unload mysql5-server
sudo port deactivate mysql5-server mysql5
sudo mv /opt/local/var/db/mysql5{,1}
sudo port install mysql51-server
sudo port activate mysql51-server

If you do already have mysql51-server installed and there are databases in /opt/local/var/db/mysql51 that are important to you then you will need to use mysqldump.

I know this will be unpleasant for some and while other options for handling mysql versions and forks were considered consensus at the time was that this approach was best and the most consistent with the way other ports like postgres, perl, python, php etc... handled versioning.

Perhaps some helper scripts or migration documentation would help smooth the transition. Ideas are welcome.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)

On Apr 25, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:

> But mysql5-server and mysql51-server use different directories for their data, respectively:
>
> /opt/local/var/db/mysql5
> /opt/local/var/db/mysql51
>
> I guess it then depends on which copy of mysqld the user is running and how the app communicates with the database?
>
> Craig
> (Early on, I ended up with both mysql5 and mysql51 installed.  I was thoroughly confused by the subtle difference.)
>
> At 12:10 AM +0900 4/26/14, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think there is a small misunderstanding about what I committed. You have a fully valid point, which has been discussed briefly in the ticket, but users will not be forced to change database at this stage with this commit. While the new default variant is mariadb (so that new installs will go with it), users with an existing port with the +mysql5 variant are upgraded with the mysql51 variant, which implies that the database stays the same.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> On Apr25, 2014, at 22:31, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Since you've gone first, could I ask what are you doing for legacy data?  Perhaps I'm missing something, but someone that has been using akonadi with mysql5 and then upgrades the port will then get mariadb installed and akonadi configured to use that, instead.  No? But mariadb will not contain the user's (presumably) valuable data--which is pretty jarring.
>>>
>>> The user will need to:
>>>
>>> 1) use  /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqldump,
>>> 2) shut down the mysql5 server,
>>> 3) (a) initialize and, (b) start up the mariadb server, and
>>> 4) use mariadb's utility to load the data.