[119433] trunk/dports/devel/akonadi/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 25 17:12:24 PDT 2014

On Apr 25, 2014, at 08:31, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> Since you've gone first, could I ask what are you doing for legacy data?  Perhaps I'm missing something, but someone that has been using akonadi with mysql5 and then upgrades the port will then get mariadb installed and akonadi configured to use that, instead.  No?  But mariadb will not contain the user's (presumably) valuable data--which is pretty jarring.
>
> The user will need to:
>
> 1) use  /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysqldump,
> 2) shut down the mysql5 server,
> 3) (a) initialize and, (b) start up the mariadb server, and
> 4) use mariadb's utility to load the data.
> 5) Possibly have to reapply any database config tweaks they previously set up.
>
> I know that the legacy mysql5 port needs to be retired but it seems like we're going to make existing users jump through a bunch of hoops to get there.
>
> I'm not trying to pick on nicos...just trying to see that the implications are understood. In a lot of ways, the akonadi port is similar to my situation with the mythtv* ports.  Most users don't care what database is used.  They installed the port because it does something useful.  Forcing them to upgrade their database doesn't enhance that utility; it just creates work to get back to where they were before.

As was already mentioned, existing users will be upgraded from mysql5 to mysql51, which is the same version of the software, and merely has a different data directory. Moving the data from the old directory to the new should work. We could perhaps enhance the mysql51 server to work with data from either directory, or maybe just notify users if they have data in the old directory and advise them how to move it.

If a user is using a port that uses a mysql (or postgresql) database, then the user has just signed up to be a mysql (or postgresql) database administrator, and is responsible for the usual database administrator tasks, like migrating to new versions and upgrading their database when needed.