Remove p5.8 and p5.10

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 17 17:08:28 PDT 2014

On Aug 17, 2014, at 4:16 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I don't know how the buildbot works exactly, but I would really like
> to see a way to avoid such failures. I really dislike build errors in
> cases where a port is known not to work (let's say that it only works
> on 10.9 or only with Carbon). I'm sure there must be a way to prevent
> users from installing a "defunct" port while avoiding the build
> failure on the buildbot.

I don't see it as a buildbot-specific issue. The buildbot just builds ports. The problem is that the replaced_by keyword only deals with upgrades. MacPorts base needs to be enhanced so that replaced_by also prevents installations, and does so in a way that displays the message to the user but does not consider this to be a failure.

Same with ports that are not compatible with certain versions of OS X. MacPorts base has no keyword to indicate that, so each port implements it manually with a pre-configure error message. There have been some proposals, including modifying the "platforms" keyword to accept versions.