Remove p5.8 and p5.10

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Aug 18 13:33:37 PDT 2014

On Aug 14, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> It might not be strictly needed for 5.8, but it would be very nice to
> have it when we remove 5.12, so we might just as well implement it
> now.

I think there's still too much work required here (even if it might be a good idea to enhance base/ to handle this more easily).

If we go:

perl5 installs a perl (hopefully the perl5.20.0 or whatever the current best upstream perl5 is), and we just install p5-ports built against our perl5.

Plus we do mass revbump of p5 ports whenever we upgrade our perl5 (and/or enhance base or the perl5 portgroup in some way to make this unnecessary), then we give people using perl (going forward) a more normal experience (ie, I install perl5, sometime later I upgrade to a new perl5 and all my installed modules get rebuilt/reinstalled for the new perl5 - everything works like I expect it to!).

--
Daniel J. Luke