GSoC Project: Final Report

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Aug 18 15:25:09 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Shashwat Pandey
<devshashwatpandey at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have worked on 'Interactive Port Command' project this summer and have
> completed many use cases.
>
> You can find more details about the project here.
> To check out the code, visit the repository here.
>
> Interactivity is the default behaviour now and to access the current
> behaviour (non-interactive invocations), the flag '-N' needs to be used.
>
> I am currently testing the implementations and request the list to point out
> any bugs they find. If anyone has identified more use cases please report so
> that I can add them to the list on the wiki page.

The following probably counts as a "feature request" and not as a "bug
report", so you might not be able to get to it, but nonetheless.

Uninstall when port has dependents: Continue? [y/N]:

To me it would make more sense to offer three options:
- yes (continue and leave those dependencies in a broken state)
- no (stop)
- continue and recursively uninstall all dependencies

While you covered this with "--follow-dependencies", it feels more
natural to be able to pick the third option here. Or at least the
output should document that additional option (which should be trivial
to patch at least).

(Another "problem" that I'm often experiencing is that I'm unable to
uninstall a port when *inactive* ports depend on it. Sometimes
macports should distinguish between the two and make less headaches
when inactive ports get broken.)

Mojca