[129844] trunk/dports/multimedia/audacious-plugins/Portfile

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Dec 22 09:18:22 PST 2014

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 5:09 AM, Mihai Moldovan <ionic at macports.org> wrote:
>
> It cannot, or it should not?

Should not. It's technically possible (apple-gcc42 does it for licensing reasons) but is confusing, misleading, and inadvisable.

If someone looks at a port's info and sees that its vanilla version is not acceptable (for whatever reason), are they going to know to try every variant (or combination of variants) to check?

If I see a port foo at 1.2.3+bar, I should not have to wonder whether there is also a foo at 1.2.3, or whether the no-variant version is foo at 1.2.5 or whatever.

A dependent port should not have to be concerned with whether not not a variant is going to change the version of a dependency.

> I asked neverpanic a while back (I think) and he said that nobody really tried it yet. So there's no current guideline and I'm free to just try to see how it works out.

There probably isn't a current guideline because changing the version based on variant is such a transparently bad idea that it doesn't seem like it needs to be called out.

Please find another way to handle this.

vq