setuuid/setguuid

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Dec 23 04:33:16 PST 2014

Hi,

----- On 23 Dec, 2014, at 13:02, René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com wrote:

> #> port rev-upgrade

You should be using sudo here, unless you're already running this in a root shell.
Btw, you should probably avoid using MacPorts from root shells and use sudo
instead – there have previously been weird problems with OS X's security model when
using root shells.

> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> Warning: Error parsing file /opt/local/bin/readcd: Error opening or reading file
> Warning: Error parsing file /opt/local/sbin/rscsi: Error opening or reading file
> Warning: Error parsing file /opt/local/libexec/mlock: Error opening or reading
> file

I should really improve the error message to include *why* the file could not be
read.

> IIRC, OS X no longer allows setuuid/setguuid, or only under some conditions.
> Isn't that something that ought to be addressed in the post-destroot?
> I'd vote for removing the offending flags if they cannot have their intended
> effect anyway.

That's the first time I hear of that. Unless you have a source you can quote on
that I'm not going to believe you, especially since my SUID (not setuuid, that's
not a thing) binaries still work as I expect them to.

--
Clemens Lang