Wouldn't it be better to make sure a MacPorts installation always stays within /opt/local?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Feb 17 01:16:52 PST 2014

On 2014-02-16 22:23, MK-MacPorts at techno.ms wrote:
> There is still one big problem with all of this, which is that a ton of daemons and agents might be running as root or as another user for a given MacPorts installation.

It's not only the daemons running, but also the symlinks in the
directories /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons can only be
claimed by one installation. The others need "startupitem_type none" in
macports.conf.

As I wrote this, some idea popped into my head:

We could use a unique naming scheme for the .plist files and labels,
like: /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports._opt_local.<service>.plist
That would allow to have LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons from multiple
MacPorts installations at the same time.

However, such strange bundle identifiers would complicate things for
casual users with only one MacPorts installation. Maybe we could rename
them for non-default installations outside of /opt/local only or make
the naming scheme a configure option?

Rainer