Atlas update

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Feb 22 14:26:14 PST 2014

On Feb 22, 2014, at 04:06, Vincent Habchi <vince at macports.org> wrote:

> I have kinda spruced up the Atlas port by moving from clang33 to clang34, replacing an old gcc46 variant by a new gcc49, and changing the default behavior (+clang instead of +clang33)
>
> Now, my predicament is this: should I upgrade the revision, and force a general rebuild in all users (given that there is no Atlas binaries and it takes eons to build) or should I just commit the new port in a kinda stealth upgrade?

If all you've changed is the default variants, then increasing the revision to force a rebuild would do nothing other than waste everybody's time, since everybody who already has the port installed would keep their existing variant selections on upgrade—unless you've removed one or more of those variants. If you have, for example, removed the gcc46 variant and added a gcc49 variant, or removed the clang33 variant and added a clang34 variant, then increasing the revision would be proper to ensure everyone has the port installed with variants that currently exist.