Getting Introduced with the Community and Looking forward to Contribute to the Project as part of Gsoc 2014

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Feb 28 02:26:01 PST 2014

Hi Gaurav,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 03:21:56AM +0530, Gaurav Bansal wrote:
> GNU C/C++, Python, Java,PHP/MySQL Version control systems and
> Git/Github

Do you know any Tcl? Are you willing to learn? Working for MacPorts
without Tcl knowledge isn't going to get you very far.

> I had installed the required necessary tools and setup the environment
> in my system needed for the contribution to open source software. I
> had got myself aware of the source to some extent. I had also read the
> contribution, development tutorial on the community webpage.

So you actually already checked out the source code? Do you have any
questions on that? Anything unclear where we could help you?

> I would like to seek the mentors help in the selection of the project
> for which the idea has been proposed for the Gsoc and someone is
> willing to mentor the project idea.

I assume you have already read our ideas page at
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode? Is there anything on that
list that you're interested in particularly?

> I will highly appreciate with any kind of help, guidance from the
> mentors to help me move forward to contribute to the software starting
> off with some easy tasks and then moving levels higher so as to make a
> strong proposal for the upcoming Google Summer of Code 2014.

Forgive me for being blunt, but did you copy most of the text in this
mail from other students' application emails? I've found at least three
other emails using similar text with different names sent to other
organizations' mailing lists:
 - http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/Getting-Introduced-with-the-Community-and-Looking-forward-to-Contribute-to-the-Project-as-part-of-Gs4-td7570054.html
 - http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/145461
 - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/sympy/K7qNXgdlQIg/EW5pRhaZhR4J