Getting Introduced with the Community and Looking forward to Contribute to the Project as part of Gsoc 2014

Gaurav Bansal gauravb7090 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 03:09:31 PST 2014

Hello Clemens,

> Do you know any Tcl? Are you willing to learn? Working for MacPorts
> without Tcl knowledge isn't going to get you very far.

I've almost done with the Tcl tutorial i.e. the given link for the tutorial
on the Development page. Hoping that would be fine for moving further ahead
with the code? Please suggest if something will help more.

> So you actually already checked out the source code? Do you have any
> questions on that? Anything unclear where we could help you?

I've just got a basic gist of the code but still a lot left to explore. I
am still going through the developers guide to cover as many aspects as
possible.

> I assume you have already read our ideas page at
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode? Is there anything on that
> list that you're interested in particularly?

I am particularly interested in the project titled as
*Read packages from Python's PIP (pip2port)*

Jeremy and Sterling were very helpful and earlier replied to my mail
regarding the same on the mailing list.

I'm still trying to get the hang of Portfile development using the
developers guide.
It'll be very helpful if you could just elaborate a bit more on the project
and direct me in the right direction for a positive outcome.

http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/Getting-Introduced-with-the-Community-and-Looking-forward-to-Contribute-to-the-Project-as-part-of-Gs4-td7570054.html
>  - http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/145461
>  - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/sympy/K7qNXgdlQIg/EW5pRhaZhR4J

I'm sorry for copying the text.
It was my very first venture to the open source world and didn't wanted to
mess it up..
Now knowing that what I did was very much stupid ...I'll make sure that a
thing of such sort doesn't happen in future.

Gaurav