Removing old Python versions

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Jan 22 10:21:11 PST 2014

(was: [116220] trunk/dports/python)

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> Realistically, most modules below python27 should get axed.

I don't have anything against removing python 2.4 (or 2.5 for that
matter), but there is one specific use case speaking against removing
python 2.6 just now (or rather: removing all but one python from the
2.x series).

Some ports depend on wxPython 2.8, but wxPython 2.8 and 3.0 conflict
with each other. One possible workaround is to install
py26-wxpython-2.8 and py27-wxpython-3.0, so that one can still use old
ports with Python 2.6 and modern ports with Python 2.7.

If all python versions 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 get removed, we suddenly get a
conflict we cannot work around. This specific problem should hopefully
disappear in a year (or two or three, ... depending on how long we'll
tolerate "abandonware"). That is, unless we'll have to deal with
another conflict between wxPython and Phoenix.

Mojca