Question regarding qt5-mac

Marko Käning MK-MacPorts at techno.ms
Sun Jul 6 06:16:33 PDT 2014

Hi guys,

I wanted to ask some questions regarding qt5-mac’s dependencies:
---
$ port deps qt5-mac
Full Name: qt5-mac @5.3.1_0
Build Dependencies:   pkgconfig
Library Dependencies: zlib, libpng, jpeg, freetype, dbus, openssl, tiff, libmng, glib2, icu, pcre, libiconv
---

When setting up Qt5 on our KDE/CI system I had to install these ports to actually get Qt5 to build [1]:
---
sudo port install zlib openssl dbus jpeg tiff libmng libpng mysql55 pkgconfig sqlite2
---

Obviously our list of dependencies isn’t identical.

Turns out that you’ve installed also these ports:
---
freetype glib2 icu pcre libiconv
---
whereas I was forced during the configuration/installation procedure to also install these two
---
mysql55 sqlite2
---
I understand that you intentionally disabled the SQL stuff in order to allow the MacPorts user to add only the needed qt5-mac-*-plugins.

So the question is now, why you decided to also install the above 5 additional ports.
If I check whether those are present on the CI system I get
---
$ port installed freetype glib2 icu pcre libiconv
  glib2 @2.40.0_1 (active)
  icu @53.1_0 (active)
  libiconv @1.14_0 (active)
  pcre @8.35_0 (active)
---
and I realise that they have come in as dependencies to other ports necessary for the CI system (e.g. bazaar, wget...).
Did you indeed need the above four ports to be able to build Qt5? (In that case I was lucky that they were already installed on my end.)

Last but not least, which problems will I run into with Qt5 if I do not enable freetype?

Greets,
Marko

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems/KDEMacPortsCI/Status