MariaDB 10.0 and 10.1 alpha port naming

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 6 19:58:40 PDT 2014

On Jul 6, 2014, at 9:56 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <pixilla at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 2014, at 1:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 4, 2014, at 10:05 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> I have new mariadb100 and mariadb101-devel ports installed and with basic tests (connect to information_schema db).
>>>
>>> I do not know that I am a fan of "drop the dot" version naming but consistency has it's place.
>>>
>>> Does anyone want to share their opinion as to naming these ports mariadb100 and mariadb101-devel vs mariadb10.0 and mariadb10.1-devel?
>>
>> Jeremy H has been of the opinion that we should not drop the dot, and should separate the version from the name with a dash, and has done so with the clang ports (e.g. clang-3.4). This seems to work fine.
>>
>> mariadb-10.0
>> mariadb-10.1
>
> I like it!
>
>> Don't use a -devel suffix. (clang-3.5 doesn't.)
>
> Is clang-3.5 alpha? Mariadb 10.1 is alpha.

Whatever it is, clang-3.5 is pre-stable until the "r" whatever suffix disappears from its version number. As I recall, it's Jeremy's habit to create a new clang port right after the previous one becomes stable.

> My reason for adding -devel is to not encourage the casual user to install alpha software.

See also the php56 port, which is currently pre-stable. I have the php56 SAPI ports print a note warning the user of this.