perl (again)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Jun 11 01:44:37 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM, Mark Anderson wrote:
> I sadly have not had enough time to work on cpan-mp, I've been mostly
> learning the internals of macports first. But yeah, like I said on that
> other thread, the latest perl is enough. Back when 5.x stalled because
> everyone thought 6 was coming out it was ok to stay still. But now we get
> new Perls regularly.

There's probably nothing wrong with providing just the latest version
of Perl, but in order to do that one has to fix 1000+ packages and/or
properly implement the cpan2mp functionality (and redesign the
packages) before this can be done.

There is one thing I fear a bit though if there was really just a
single version supported: nobody would dare to upgrade perl when a new
release comes out. And the upgrade scenario needs to be really well
thought-out in advance, as well as a chance to test pre-releases
locally (let's say an easy way for any macports user to switch to Perl
2.21 and keep everything working properly).

Mojca