conflict with macports

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Jun 12 12:25:24 PDT 2014

On 2014-6-13 04:54 , Adam Dershowitz Ph.D., P.E. wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2014, at 8:41 AM, Mark Brethen <mark.brethen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Z88Aurora Support <z88aurora at uni-bayreuth.de>
>>> Subject: AW: conflict with macports
>>> Date: June 12, 2014 at 5:14:38 AM CDT
>>> To: "'Brethen, Mark Douglas. (MSFC-ER41)[ESSSA]'"
>>>
>>> Hello Mark,
>>>
>>> we tried to get everything working from z88aurorav2/bin/mac, but there are
>>> several problems with the dylibs.
>>> Unfortunately, even with linking the dylibs not from /opt/local/lib but from
>>> .../bin/mac, those dylibs are depending on other dylibs and this is why they
>>> contain static links to opt/local/lib.
>>>
>>> To get everything working without using /opt/local, we would have to edit
>>> every library like libgtk, libatk, libglib, etc.
>>>
>>> At the moment, we don't plan to tackle this issue because of the massive
>>> time and manpower it would need compared to the limited number of OS X users
>>> with MacPorts installed.
>>>
>>> The only (quick) solution at our minds is to use different opt folders and
>>> softlink them to /opt.
>>> Which of course leads to MacPorts and Z88 not working simultaneously.
>>>
>>> Maybe we will get this working with an upcoming version, which could be
>>> switching from GTK2 to GTK3, but this is nothing which is to be expected
>>> during the next months.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry I couldn't solve this for you, but my power is limited on this
>>> domain.
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Stefan
>>> Support Z88Aurora
>>> Lehrstuhl für Konstruktionslehre und CAD
>>> Universität Bayreuth
>>> Universitätsstraße 30
>>> 95447 Bayreuth
>>> E-Mail: z88aurora at uni-bayreuth.de
>>> Internet: www.z88.de
>>
>> He doesn't go into specifics, but it sounds like they're trying to use two sets of libraries?
>>
>> Mark
>>
> I received the same email as you did.
> I suggested that he could use MacPorts into /opt/z88 or something similar.  But, given this email chain, I will instead suggest using dylibbundler.

It's not clear exactly what they're doing that prevents them from
installing into a different prefix. But it's not inconceivable that the
same reasons mean they haven't built with -headerpad_max_install_names
and thus can't use the various options for relocation. Maybe they're
using a binary of gtk + deps and not building it themselves? That's all
I can think of anyway. (Unless perhaps the only guy that knew how to
build it left the company...)

In any case, it's difficult for us to help find a solution when the
problem hasn't been clearly laid out.

- Josh