conflict with macports

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Jun 12 13:10:30 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

>> I received the same email as you did.
>> I suggested that he could use MacPorts into /opt/z88 or something similar.  But, given this email chain, I will instead suggest using dylibbundler.
>
> It's not clear exactly what they're doing that prevents them from
> installing into a different prefix.

Disclaimer: I don't know the project, but my guess is ...

Lack of manpower (and understanding about best packaging practice on
different OSes). It is also not impossible that they simply don't know
how to install MacPorts elsewhere.

Take a look at their sources, particularly at their Makefiles. Or take
a look at the manual to see installation instructions.

By far the easiest short-term solution would be to make a Portfile and
then advise everyone to use the package from MacPorts as opposed to
installing their binary package.

In the next step someone can help them rewrite the Makefiles. And then
fix the binary package, step by step.